From a man who claimed 1,773 images of child sex abuse 'just popped up' on his laptop to a pensioner who threw boiling water over a care worker, a number of pensioners were jailed this month.

Dozens of Merseyside OAPs appeared before the courts this month, with some of the being put behind bars while others were given suspended prison sentences or put on the sex offenders register.

READ MORE : Young footballer warned 'he'll never play again' after devastating diagnosis

Here are the elderly criminals who are now paying for their crimes.

Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard left a girl "broken" after carrying out horrific sex offences in the 1970s.

The child molester preyed on three children in the Wirral over a number of years and forced two to perform sex acts on him, having attempted to force a third to.

The now 69-year-old left one child "broken" after repeatedly abusing her.

Kevin Howard, 69, left a victim 'broken' after molesting her in the 70s along with two other children
Kevin Howard, 69, left a victim 'broken' after molesting her in the 70s along with two other children

Howard, of Mucklougher, Leitrim in Ireland has no previous convictions,

He was jailed for 17 years with an extended three years on licence and must sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

READ MORE: Child molester left a girl 'broken' after vile sex offences

Izzldenein Yousif

Izzldenein Yousif, 65, of Orphan Drive, Newsham Park
Izzldenein Yousif, 65, of Orphan Drive, Newsham Park

A man who was living at the abandoned Newsham Park Hospital stole £10,000 from the emergency Covid business grant scheme then lied about spending the cash.

Izzldenein Yousif told Liverpool City Council he was entitled to support for his car wash business in Fairfield last year.

But Izzy Bizzy Hand Car Wash on Prescot Road had stopped trading three years earlier and had left the unit in 2019.

When the council rang the 65-year-old, of Orphan Drive, Newsham Park, to confront him over the fraud, Yousif said he'd already spent the money and hung up.

He was jailed for six months after admitting fraud.

READ MORE: Man lied to get £10,000 Covid small business grant

James Knowles

James Knowles carried out a "campaign of rape" against a little girl
James Knowles carried out a "campaign of rape" against a little girl

James Knowles, 78, carried out "depraved sexual acts" on an "extremely young child" several decades ago.

She first went to the police in the 1990s, but said she was told "there was nothing they could do, because it happened years ago".

However, the woman found the courage to come forward again in 2018, leading to her abuser today being jailed for 25 years.

Judge David Aubrey, QC, told Knowles "your evil past has now caught up with you", stating: "You are likely to die in prison."

Liverpool Crown Court heard Knowles, of Amber Way, Stockbridge Village, abused the child when she was aged between five and 10.

He denied any wrongdoing, but was found guilty after a trial last week of six counts of rape and three counts of indecent assault.

Knowles was allowed to give evidence from home via video link because of his poor heath, but today sat in a wheelchair in the well of the court, just metres away from his brave victim.

The paedophile, who didn't have any previous convictions, had claimed she was lying and still maintains his innocence.

However, Keith Sutton, prosecuting, told the jury Knowles had made admissions to his family, including that he "messed around" with and had "done some bad things" to the victim, before claiming that he was mentally "sick" at the time.

The victim said she was raped "weekly" by him and each count of rape specified "on no less than 10 occasions".

Judge Aubrey said this meant Knowles would now be sentenced for raping her "on no less than 60 occasions".

He said: "It can properly and indeed only be described in my judgement as a persistent campaign of rape upon a particularly vulnerable child."

Knowles must serve at least half of the 25 years - 12 and a half years - in prison.

READ MORE: Pensioner who raped little girl 60 times set to die in jail

The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics - including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.

There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

Allan Jones

Allan Jones (left) and Peter Robinson (right) were jailed at Liverpool Crown Court this week
Allan Jones (left) and Peter Robinson (right) were jailed at Liverpool Crown Court this week

Allan Jones and Peter Robinson broke into the house on Tourney Green in Warrington after they carried out a reconnaissance run on the property the previous day.

Jones, 66, of Freemont Road, Liverpool, and Robinson, 57, from Chatsworth Road, Ainsdale, stole a safe full of cash during the raid before fleeing from the scene.

But forensic evidence and CCTV footage revealed the pair had been in the area on both days and they were subsequently arrested.

Cheshire Police said both men initially denied their involvement but detectives continued to gather evidence.

The pair were jailed on July 26 after pleading guilty at their first hearing at Liverpool Crown Court.

Robinson was sentenced to 27 months in prison while Jones was sentenced to three years in prison. Both men were also handed a £190 fine.

READ MORE: Burglars caught on CCTV doing a 'trial run' day before home raided

Leslie Marrs

Leslie Marrs of Dunkeld Close Kensington, Liverpool
Leslie Marrs of Dunkeld Close Kensington, Liverpool

Leslie Marrs slashed his neck with a craft blade moments after being jailed for a sexual assault on a teenage girl.

Judge Stuart Driver, QC, just warned the dock officer that Marrs had told probation "he would commit suicide before he reached prison".

The 76-year-old then twice cut the right side of his neck, after producing the blade from his suit, before the officer wrestled it from him and he was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Marrs, of Dunkeld Close, Kensington, admitted abusing the girl, who was in her mid-teens, after she disclosed the abuse to a youth worker.

The court heard the girl had suffered nightmares and self-harmed after the attack and had displayed out of character challenging behaviour.

Marr was jailed for two years and eight months.

Stanley Harris

Stanley Harris, 72, has been sent back to jail for breaching his Sexual Harm Prevention Order
Stanley Harris, 72, has been sent back to jail for breaching his Sexual Harm Prevention Order

Stanley Harris was previously jailed after installing a hidden camera in his bathroom and spying on a child, a young woman and their mum.

The 72-year-old's seedy videos were discovered when he took his laptop to a computer repair shop in Bebington in 2016.

After being asked to transfer data, a technician spotted an indecent video of a child having a shower and police later found one category A image and two category C images.

Harris was locked up for 13 months and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years.

He was also made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO), banning him from deleting his internet history and meaning he has to register any devices that can connect to the internet with police.

But Harris was hauled back to court today after police discovered 14 secret devices during a routine visit to his home on June 16 this year.

Angela Blackmore, prosecuting at Wirral Magistrates' Court, said when he was asked about any devices that could connect to the internet he handed over a mobile phone, which only had internet history available for that day.

Ms Blackmore said: "Officers asked if he had deleted the internet history and he indicated he had."

He was asked if he had any other devices, to which he replied "no", but officers saw a laptop and when asked again Harris "produced a second mobile phone".

Harris was jailed for 18 weeks and ordered to pay a £128 victim surcharge.

The devices were forfeited and destroyed.

READ MORE: Pervert who secretly filmed victims showering sent back to jail

David Gardner

David Gardner, 65, of Alderley, Skelmersdale
David Gardner, 65, of Alderley, Skelmersdale

David Gardner sexually abused a boy and a girl over a decade.

The 65-year-old, of Alderley, Skelmersdale, molested his victims between 2000 and 2010.

Gardner even made one of his victims watch videos of older men raping children and said his abuse was "all just fun".

He was found guilty of sexual activity with a child and causing and inciting sexual activity with a child.

Gardner had pleaded guilty to possessing thousands of indecent images of children and extreme porn.

He was jailed for 11 years.