Eight minors have been arrested in connection with a possible vigilante attack on a man they suspect was a paedophile, local broadcaster Omroep Zeeland said on Tuesday.
The youths, aged 14 to 16, come from the rural areas of Noord and Zuid-Beveland and attacked the man in the town of Goes. He was hospitalised but has since been discharged, the broadcaster said.
Earlier this month police, ministers and the public prosecution department called on vigilante groups to stop hunting down people they consider to be paedophiles, following the death of a 73-year-old man.
The man, a retired teacher from Arnhem, died after being beaten up by a group of teenagers who had set him up online to meet a 15-year-old boy for sex. It is unclear if he knew the youth was a minor and four of the teenagers remain in custody.
Some 250 incidents involving vigilante groups and alleged paedophiles have been recorded since July and police have had to help some people who have been outed as paedophiles to go into hiding because of the threats.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.
If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to,
you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.