A range of people were found guilty in from across Sefton this month, ranging from bent coppers to a shop manager stealing £9,000.

The list features predominantly criminals being found guilty of assault, largely unprovoked.

The courts also heard about a man who left his cat crying in pain with a broken pelvis after witness rescued the cat and took her to the RSPCA who investigated.

READ MORE:Boys blow mum away, after her son, 5, walks up to them in park

One particularly disturbing case saw a 47-year-old man give a homeless woman a bed to then break her jaw and trap her in his home.

One man was jailed for slashing a teen leaving him needing two hour surgery and three months off work, with the dad pleading guilty.

Rachael Roche

Rachael Roche, 30
Rachael Roche, 30

Rachael Roche was found guilty for setting a bin on fire and was then seen on Ring video doorbell footage with a naked flame in Netherton.

The 30-year-old, who was high on cocaine and alcohol, used the cigarette lighter to set fire to the bin, which led to smoke and toxic fumes filling a house in Netherton.

Fortunately the occupants, John McDonough and his partner Joanne Kenny, weren't in because they had moved out and put their home up for sale after a long running parking dispute.

Roche, of Bridge Lane, Netherton, was sentenced to 27 months in prison after pleading guilty to arson being reckless whether life would be endangered.

Susan Kay

Susan Kay leaving Liverpool Crown Court with a supporter
Susan Kay leaving Liverpool Crown Court with a supporter

The mum was employed by Queenscourt Hospice in 2018 and worked as a manager for the charity's Southport shop on Chapel Street.

While there the 64-year-old stole thousands by writing up credit slips but not cashing them, before going on to steal from a second shop she also managed.

In total the mum stole £9,171.83, and the charity estimated the offences cost them £17,000 indirectly, which could pay for 140 nursing shifts.

Kay was handed an eight month sentence suspended for one year and ordered to complete 25 Rehabilitation Activity Requirements.

Gary Gilboy

Gary Gilboy, 60
Gary Gilboy, 60

The serial robber subjected three women working at a travel agency to a terrifying ordeal after he grabbed hold of one of them and demanded cash.

Prolific robber Gary Gilboy, 60, entered the Hays Travel shop in St Helens town centre on the afternoon of Friday, June 11.

Three women were in the store at the time - the female manager, a female employee, and another woman who also worked there but was visiting while on a day off, along with a one-year-old child in a buggy.

CCTV showed to Liverpool Crown Court showed Gilboy entering the Church Street store. He first pulled one of the women up from her seat by the blazer of her uniform, and then grabbed the manager forcefully by the arm, and marched them both into the rear area where the safe was located.

CCTV from inside the office showed the staff members - in line with company policy - not resisting but opening the safe.

Gilboy then helped himself to cash and exited the store.

The court heard that Gilboy's criminal record went back 45 years, and he had carried out 34 previous robberies to this one.

Gilboy was jailed for five years and four months, of which he must serve half before being released on licence.

Pictured is Liverpool Crown Court

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you the latest stories from court all in one place.

It will feature reports from Liverpool Crown Court and cases connected to Merseyside.

To join and get updates, click here.

Darren McIntyre

Darren McIntyre outside Liverpool Magistrates Court.
Darren McIntyre outside Liverpool Magistrates Court.

Mark Bamber was at home with his partner in Ainsdale when he was beaten to the floor and left bleeding heavily by PC Darren McIntyre.

McIntyre and his colleagues, PCs Garrie Burke, Laura Grant and Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd, then tried to hide evidence and frame Mr Bamber for assaulting a police officer.

The four officers had attended Mr Bamber's address in Ainsdale after a request from North West Ambulance Service paramedics to conduct a welfare check on his partner.

Earlier that evening Mr Bamber had made a 999 call saying his partner was depressed and suicidal, but rang back to cancel the ambulance a short time later.

When the officers arrived Mr Bamber initially refused them entry, but relented and opened the door when he was threatened with arrest.

Once inside, however, McIntyre became increasingly agitated with Mr Bamber.

The victim complained to McIntyre " you're getting in my face now ", to which the PC of 21 years responded: "Yeah, you better wind your f***ing neck in because you're getting on mine and next time you obstruct me doing my job I will put you in the f***ing car and put you in a cell."

Disgraced police officers (L-R) Darren McIntyre, Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd, Laura Grant and Garrie Burke
Disgraced police officers (L-R) Darren McIntyre, Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd, Laura Grant and Garrie Burke

Mr Bamber then replied "are you sure?" at which point McIntyre spun him around and started punching him.

Burke, 44, of Holmefield Grove, Maghull; Grant, 36, of Somerville Grove, Waterloo; and Buchanan-Lloyd, 26, of Kings Close, Higher Bebington were each convicted of perverting the course of justice and sentenced in May.

Burke and Grant received 15 month sentences and Buchanan-Lloyd was handed nine months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

McIntyre, 47, was jailed for a total of 19 months after being convicted of assault causing actual bodily harm and perverting the course of justice at Liverpool Crown Court.

James Fraughan

James Fraughan, 30
James Fraughan, 30

James Fraughan, 30, pulled out a semi-automatic Baikal pistol at a woman's home in Coral Drive, Bootle.

His lawyer today said Fraughan produced the gun from a bag beneath the wheelchair of his friend Sam Taylor.

Taylor, 30, of St Alban's Square, Bootle, denied any wrongdoing and was cleared after prosecutors offered no evidence.

The Sefton Live newsletter will bring you news from across the borough in a way you’ve never had it before.

Whether it's celebrating people, sharing issues or discussing latest news, our newsletter covers all things from Bootle to Southport, and everywhere in between.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for a Sefton Live Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick Sefton Live.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

5) There are plenty of other newsletters to choose from too.

Liverpool Crown Court heard police attended the address at around 4.45am on Sunday, July 22, 2018.

Fraughan was jailed for five years.

Alan Daley

Alan Daley walked down a Seaforth street with the huge blade before attacking 19-year-old Jack Callear and "casually walking away".

The 50-year-old aimed blows at the teen's head but Mr Callear, who knew Daley only as a local man, protected himself with his hand.

The teenager suffered slashes to his tendons and muscles which left him needing a two hour operation and three months off work.

Dad-of-two Daley, who admitted wounding, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court and said he was triggered by a "protective instinct" after a comment made to his son.

Chris Stables, prosecuting, said the two families lived on neighbouring streets and Daley's youngest son and Mr Callear's younger brother were friends.

Why we're doing this story - We have a mix of stories, many of them hugely positive about the city. We will not though, ignore crime as it impacts on many lives.

In deciding which crimes to write about, we consider a range of issues including the severity of the crime, the threat to public safety and the wider context in which it happened. We do not seek to glamorise crime or criminals, rather to shine a spotlight on what is happening in our city.

All our stories are compiled using a mix of reporting from the scene, background knowledge and experience, information from the police and our reporter contacts.

Anything else you need to know - The Liverpool Echo has a dedicated crime reporter in Joe Thomas. You can email Joe via [email protected]

Thanks for reading. if you want to ask us any more questions about what the Liverpool Echo does, please email [email protected]

The judge took into account his effective previous good character and poor health. The judge also accepted that the incident was "wholly out of character".

Daley was jailed for two years and three months.

Orrin Lloyd

Orrin Lloyd leaving Liverpool Magistrates court.
Orrin Lloyd leaving Liverpool Magistrates court.

Orrin Lloyd of Scarisbrick Avenue, Southport left his cat, Puss, in pain with her left hip socket fractured and both sides of her pubic bones fractured into multiple pieces.

A veterinary report presented to the court explained that: “Puss was clearly suffering and in a state of extreme physical and emotional distress on presentation to RSPCA care.

"It’s completely unacceptable to leave any animal to suffer in this way and we will always look into reports of animal cruelty and, where necessary, seek justice for that animal”.

Lloyd was sentenced to a decade long ban from keeping animals, as well as 12-month community order and he must complete 30 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and 80 hours of unpaid work.

Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor, 48
Christopher Taylor, 48

Christopher Taylor befriended his vulnerable victim, who the ECHO has chosen not to name, in Liverpool city centre.

Liverpool Crown Court heard the 48-year-old and the woman spent two nights at his flat in Worcester Road, Bootle.

But during a row he repeatedly punched her in the face, then armed himself with two knives and made a sinister threat.

Jonathan Rogers, prosecuting, said the woman visited a stall near the O2 shop in Church Street, where volunteers were giving out food, on Sunday, May 16 this year.

He said Taylor approached, said he knew the woman and offered her a place to stay, which she agreed to, so she would have a bed for the night.

The judge jailed Taylor for six years, with an extended two years on licence, and made an indefinite restraining order to protect the woman.

Mark Crompton

Mark Crompton, 57
Mark Crompton, 57

Mark Crompton said he was unaware of the actual speed limit after repeatedly being caught by average speed cameras on the A565.

Preston Magistrates Court heard Crompton, 57, was recorded at speeds varying from 58 to 67mph on the 50mph stretch of Southport New Road, just outside Southport.

The prosecution explained the cameras captured Crompton between Gravel Lane and Mere Brow across dates from August 17 - November 22 last year. At an earlier hearing, he had pleaded guilty to all 14 counts of speeding.

In a letter to the magistrates, he said he took responsibility for his actions and was very sorry.

Crompton was fined a total £682 and banned from driving for six months.

Paul Cave

Paul Cave, 46
Paul Cave, 46

Paul Caveslashed his partner's right cheek open then fled her Southport home rather than call an ambulance.

The victim had to ring 999 herself and was rushed to hospital, where Cave turned up to say how "sorry" he was before issuing a sinister threat.

Domestic violence or abuse can happen to anyone.

NHS advice says if you are at risk of domestic abuse or violence you can:

The Survivor's Handbook from Women's Aid is free and gives information on issues such as housing, money, helping children and legal rights.

Men can email [email protected], which can refer you to places that can help, such as health services and voluntary organisations.

SWACA – Sefton Women’s and Children’s Aid offers free practical and emotional support to women, young people, and children suffering from domestic abuse. You can contact SWACA by phone on 0151 922 8606, by text on 07779745594 and by email at [email protected]

For forced marriage and "honour" crimes, contact Karma Nirvana (0800 5999 247) or The Forced Marriage Unit (020 7008 0151).

Galop provides support to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence.

Anyone who needs confidential help with their own abusive behaviour can contact Respect on their free helpline on 0808 802 4040.

Kenneth Grant, prosecuting, said: "He also said that if she cooperated with the police, he would have her shot."

Cave, 46, of no fixed address but from Liverpool, who admitted wounding, was due to be sentenced last month.

But prosecutors said the woman had taken an overdose, which left her in an intensive care unit and unable to sign off a victim personal statement.

The judge found Cave was dangerous and jailed him for four years, with an extended two years on licence.

This means Cave must serve at least two thirds of his sentence - two years and eight months - behind bars, before he can apply to the Parole Board and will only be released then if he is no longer considered to be a risk.

Jordan Daley, Kai Coulson and Tre Daley

A man, 31, was knocked out in the unprovoked attack on Waverley Street in Southport town centre.

He was said to have been left "extremely shaken” by the ordeal, which took place on August 30, 2020.

The attack took place at 1.10am in close proximity to a number of Southport's bars and nightclubs.

Jordan Daley, 21, of Stafford Road in Birkdale, and Kai Coulson, of Slackeys Lane, Southport, both pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm.

Tre Daley, also of Stafford Road in Birkdale, pleaded guilty to a section 4 public order offence.

At Liverpool Crown Court, the three were each given an 18-month community order, and ordered to pay the victim £200 each.

They were each ordered to pay a further £95 in court costs - and given rehabilitation orders.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here