Millions of people are set to go abroad this summer but Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert has issued a warning to all those planning to jet off.

MSE is urging people to make sure they've got the right travel insurance to cover them and to make sure they buy insurance as soon as they book their trip.

Coronavirus has made travelling internationally confusing because of the quickly changing rules - reports Mirror Online.

READ MORE:Government explains reason France is on the 'amber plus' list

But if you are planning a holiday abroad, MoneySavingExpert has rounded up a list of coronavirus-related issues which you’re likely to be covered for by some providers and which ones you won’t.

Of course, these aren’t blanket rules for all travel insurance companies, meaning you’ll need to check the terms and conditions of your policy carefully.

In general, MSE says most travel insurance companies will cover you if you, or your family, has caught coronavirus before you’re due to jet off.

Some insurance policies will now also cover you if you’ve been told to self-isolate by the Test and Trace service or if you’ve been “pinged” by the NHS app.

Some will also cover expenses, such as medical or if you can’t travel home, if you or your family catch Covid while abroad.

But very few policies will cover you if you can't travel due to lockdown or a change of travel advice, MSE warned.

Similarly, no policies will give you money back for your trip if you refuse to go as you’d need to self-isolate when you get home, or if you don’t want to travel because you don’t feel safe.

The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics - including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.

There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

Finally if you decide to go away and the Foreign Office has warned against travel to your destination, you won’t be covered unless you have specialist insurance.

If the Foreign Office advises against "all but essential travel" or "all travel" this may trigger a refund, depending on how you booked your trip.

Package holiday firms should refund you, but this isn't always the case with individually booked flights and hotels as you don't have the same protection.

It is still worth asking your airline and hotel for a refund as many will cancel trips and offer money back.

MSE said: “Summer holidays abroad are back on for many, and that means sun, sea, sand and... sorting your travel insurance.

“For years we've highlighted the importance of buying a policy as soon as you book, so you're covered if you need to cancel before you go.

“That message still stands, though this year it's also crucial to know what Covid cover is included.”

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here