An evil killer who fatally stabbed a teenage boy in a row over an Xbox console is back walking the streets after serving just 12 years behind bars.

Shane Boyd smashed a full can of beer over Connor Black’s head before knifing him in the back as he tried to stumble away in a Manchester street.

The 16-year-old collapsed on a grass verge having suffered abdominal injuries before tragically passing away in 2008.

The knifeman then threw his hands into the air in front of horrified onlookers and shouted: “I’m the man.”

Connor Black was just 16 when he was stabbed to death outside a house party

The Manchester Evening News has now discovered that the evil thug has been allowed out of jail - despite the victim’s family not being told.

Boyd pleaded guilty to manslaughter, but denied murder claiming he acted in self-defence.

A jury saw through his lies and convicted him following a trial in 2009.

Sentencing Boyd at the time, Judge Clement Goldstone said the killing was "truly wicked and shows you in the true colours of a coward."

Because Boyd was himself only 16-years-old at the time, Judge Goldstone imposed a life sentence but with a minimum term of 11 years.

Conor's family, who were present in court throughout, say Judge Goldstone told Boyd his minimum term would have been 22 years if he had been an adult.

Now they have learned that Boyd has been allowed free from prison - but only because friends believe they spotted him in Moston.

Conor's relatives, who have asked not to be identified due to fear of reprisals, say pals believe they saw Boyd 'chilling' in a car near to the scene of the murder on Moston Lane earlier this month.

The family reported the alleged sighting to Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS).

It is understood HMPPS has since confirmed Boyd was granted Release on Temporary Licence (ROTL) on several occasions in recent months and the family have received an apology that they were not given prior warning.

'Urgent action' to rectify the miscommunication with Conor's family has since been taken, the MEN understands.

It is believed a Parole Board hearing to consider Boyd's fitness for full release could happen before the end of year.

Conor's family have been left feeling furious at both the communication failure and the potential for Boyd to have his freedom back.

"We knew it was coming [Boyd's release]," said a family member.

"We were expecting it [eventually], but obviously we feel frightened, he's made previous threats.

"The lack of communication from the Prison Service has been the issue - how did they not know he was coming out?

If Boyd's release goes ahead before the end of 2021, he will be a free man before turning 30 years old.

"It's not enough for taking a life," said Conor's relatives. "Especially because we don't believe he has been rehabilitated."

Boyd has continued to make headlines during his time inside.

It is understood he served his first seven years in a juvenile facility before being moved to an adult prison.

Within months of starting his sentence at Ashfield Young Offenders Institution near Bristol he was posting pictures on Facebook using an illicit mobile phone behind bars.

And in 2012 he was caught doing the same thing again, this time creating a profile under the name 'Ben Smith' to post a threat of revenge.

"All them snakes wil (sic) get what’s coming to them out next year," he wrote.

While locked up at Strangeways in 2017, Boyd managed to seduce a female prison officer who began an 'intense' love affair that landed her in jail.

Boyd has allegedly been seen 'chilling' near the murder scene

Kiah Andrusjak, 25, fell for the then 24-year-old Boyd while he was on mop duty and stuck up for her when she was 'disrespected' by other inmates.

The guard exchanged hundreds of texts with Boyd before she was caught trying to smuggle cigarettes and keepsake photographs inside for him.

Andrusjak was jailed for eight years by a judge who told her the ‘betrayal of trust’ was serious and that crimes like hers ‘undermined public confidence’.

"We don't feel Boyd has shown any signs of remorse or rehabilitation," said Conor's family.

"We think he's kept his head down in the last three or four years to make sure he gets released.

"We still see him as the remorseless killer he always was. He's going to kill again - he thinks he's invincible."

While Boyd is preparing to rediscover his freedom, Conor's family are still picking up the pieces 13 years after his murder.

Conor was his mum's only child. She really struggles," said a relative.

"She was a single mum and Conor carried the family name. To her it's like [Conor's murder] happened yesterday, the grief, the impact."

Relatives say the prospect of Boyd being free, and potentially back in the Moston area, has left Conor's mum terrified.

"She worries she will see him in ASDA or something. She should be able to go and do her shopping without worrying.

"Every time [Boyd] does something it's like Conor has died all over again."

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice said: "We understand the distress prisoners being released on temporary licence can cause victims and their families, but it is an important part of rehabilitation which can help to prevent reoffending.

"All such offenders are carefully risk assessed and face return to closed prison if they do not obey strict conditions."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .