Dumbarton got the new League One season off to the perfect start, as they swept aside Clyde at Broadwood.

Conrad Balatoni’s early own goal was added to by strikes from Ross Maclean and Kalvin Orsi, as the Sons cruised to victory in Cumbernauld.

And new manager Stevie Farrell was delighted with what he saw from his side.

He said “It was thoroughly deserved over the 90 minutes. I thought in the first-half we dominated possession and produced some really good patterns of play.

“We’re trying to embed a style.

“It’s been hard in six weeks, but the last 10 days have been good on the training ground.

“At half-time I told them that proper footballers manage being 2-0 up at half-time, and I thought our game management was excellent.”

Farrell stuck with the same side that had lost to Partick Thistle 10 days previous, with no fewer than eight players handed league debuts.

It took the new look Dumbarton just 11 minutes to find a breakthrough.

Neat play eventually saw Stuart Carswell set Joe McKee free down the right, and his cross was scooped into his own net by Bully Wee defender Conrad Balatoni.

Remarkably it was the second own-goal Balatoni had scored for the Sons, after turning into his own net for Partick Thistle at the Rock back in 2013.

Dumbarton clearly took confidence from their early lead and were picking holes in the Clyde defence, albeit without ever managing to seriously test keeper David Mitchell.

The hosts then reminded Sons of their threat, as they twice came close to a leveller as the game reached the half hour mark.

First Ross Cunningham saw his curling cross clip the crossbar before bouncing behind for a goal kick, before David Goodwillie could only fire at Sam Ramsbottom having cut inside Gregor Buchanan.

Dumbarton responded strongly however, and were awarded a golden chance to add a second when Balatoni hauled down Kalvin Orsi off the ball on the edge of the box.

The big defender was booked, but the Clyde wall stood firm to bravely block Stuart Carswell’s driven free-kick.

It proved only a matter of time before the Sons added a second though, with Edin Lynch the unlikely creator.

The full-back drove into the box, cut inside Mark Docherty and drilled an effort goalwards that was parried by David Mitchell - with Ross Maclean the first man to react to drive in his third goal of the season.

Eight minutes before half-time Maclean had the ball in the net again, as he turned in Kalvin Orsi’s cross - but the whistle of referee Chris Graham in the build-up cut any celebrations short.

An almost flawless first-half ended on a negative note however, with Joe McKee taken off as a precaution with a hamstring twinge - and Conner Duthie his replacement.

The second-half began with Sons once again looking the more threatening.

Gregor Buchanan came within inches of turning Duthie’s free-kick in at the near post, before Ross Maclean couldn’t quite get his header from five yards on target.

At the other end meanwhile an Ally Love effort from the edge of the area that was blocked was as close as Clyde came to troubling Sam Ramsbottom.

As the game ticked into the final 10 minutes there was still time for Dumbarton to add a third, and it proved the pick of the goals.

The impressive Sam Muir went on a surging run down the left before clipping a ball back for Conner Duthie to rifle beyond David Mitchell.

Keen to net his first goal in Sons colours, Kalvin Orsi’s driving run from midfield then saw him open up space on the edge of the area - but his effort was comfortably held by Mitchell.

In injury time Clyde almost found a way onto the scoresheet as Goodwillie looked to get away from Buchanan, but the big defender dropped back into position well to clear the danger and ensure that the first win of the Stevie Farrell era was one for Dumbarton fans to remember.